Friday, April 13, 2012

LET'S DO THIS TOGETHER

Relationships are never, ever 50-50, no matter how much we may want them to be.
I say "may" because I'm not sure any of us has ever experienced or known a truly 50-50 relationship, so how can we ever know that is what we want? I think most of us would just like a 60-40 or 70-30 relationship, as long as the ratio is flexible and yet never rises to the 90-10 or 95-5 area ever.
I just think we all want a relationship where nearly everything is shared. No one thing is always mine to do and no one thing is always yours to handle. I can cook and clean, as can you. You can pay the bills and mow the lawn, and so can I. And as often as possible, we tackle these tasks together. But, when we're both working and both trying to run a home together, there will be times when I haven't the time and times when you haven't a second to spare, and that is when our partner, our true co-worker steps in to handle the burden, both of us realizing this is only a temporary arrangement.
That does not mean that no one "owns" anything. We each "own" our part of each responsibility. If I am making the salad, then I take pride and responsibility for doing it well. If you are making the roast, you do it to the best of your ability and can be proud of how well it turns out. But when we sit down for this meal, we each will be sharing our gifts and our energies with each other, in a way me feeding you and you feeding me.
If we perform our daily tasks with our partner in mind, and our partner sharing the job, then do we not feel closer to them with every job that gets done? And do we not mesh our very selves into everything we do, nothing all-me and nothing all-you but everything all-us?
I know of adults -- parents mostly -- who strive so hard to make everything equal for their children, as if the world were going to treat everyone equally. We should not strive for equality in our relationships but for equity, for a reasonable and personal sharing of the daily and regular jobs in our lives so that when those jobs are over we can both take pride in a job well done and both share in the free time left to us.
Left to us. As a couple. As partners. As co-workers. As co-accomplishers. As one.

No comments:

Post a Comment