Wednesday, June 8, 2011

THE TIME IS ALWAYS RIGHT

I have never been one to make a lot of plans for my life. Even though experience has taught me that making solid-concrete plans is folly, it was not a lesson I really needed to learn. I was not someone who lived by plans anyway. In fact, I often chuckled to myself at the extravagant and detailed plans some people made for themselves.
Instead, I have learned it is best to be flexible and ready for whatever life throws at you.
Like love.
Love, unlike some of the other gifts from the Creator, does not come to only the young, or the fit, or the intellectual, or the wise. Everyone gets their dose of love and their chance at love. Some recognize the gift when it arrives and cherish it while others, being either foolish or simply too naive, squander and/or abuse the gift until it is lost forever. Sometimes the recipient is too young -- emotionally, that is -- to recognize the importance and oneness of love. They think they can and will find love lurking around each and every corner. So they don't cherish the preciousness of love when they have it. And they live the remainder of their lives trying to find what they once had and can never have again.
By the same token, those older and wiser sometimes spurn love because they believe they are too old to love, or too old for love. Love is only for the young, they assume.
But love comes when the time is right. It is never too early and never too late. It is always right on time. Whether it arrives to a head full and thick with hair or one balding, whether it lands on a fresh heart aching to love or one that has beaten quicker before, it is on time and on schedule. It may not be convenient, or be what we had in mind for this time in our life, it doesn't matter. What matters is being open to love, to being loved and to loving another with all that we have, no matter if there are mere days, years or decades left to live.
Cherish the gift of love. Cherish the one you love. Cherish the love you share. Most of all, cherish the chance to love by opening your heart, mind, body and soul to another so that when the final bell does ring, you can say to yourself, "I may not have accomplished much in my time on earth, but for a while I loved someone with all that I am and all that I have. And that made my life worthwhile."

No comments:

Post a Comment